Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

A is for Apple

A is for Apple
This week I have been painting still lifes of apples in my studio, so apples are on my mind. 

And so is Thanksgiving.  I have been starting to plan what we will make, including an apple pie.

So Many Choices

But I never can remember which apples are best for baking so I thought I'd do a little research and share it. 

Here's what I learned:  You want something that won't break down and turn to mush.  A mix of apples is best --a tart and sweet combo.

The biggest surprise I learned is that Red Delicious are unacceptable for baking.  Really?  Would the pie be that bad?  Some day I may try baking one, just  to see for myself. 

Left to Right:  Empire, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Cortland
 
So --- here's the mix I am considering:  Empire for its firmness, Golden Delicious for its sweetness, and Cortland or Granny Smith for their tartness.

FYI - I ran into a friend in the grocery store who was looking for Twenty Ounce apples for her pie.  Never heard of it, so I looked it up when I got home.   It is an heirloom variety with high ratings for pie.  So, if they show up in the store by Thanksgiving, I may try them, too.


Apples for Baking:

Golden Delicious
Empires
Cortland,
Granny Smith
Northern Spy
Rome
Twenty Ounce

Other options:
Gravenstein
Spartans
Fuji
Wolf River
Bramley
Fortune
Ginger Gold


My favorite eating apple:  Honey Crisp
 
Apples for Eating Raw (in hand or on salads):

Honey Crisp (my fav! and I hear it is our niece, Elizabeth's, too)
Mutsu(Crispin),
Gala
Macoun
Jonagold
Red Delicious
MacIntosh
Pink Lady
Jazz
Pippin
Braeburn,
Paula Red


Apples for Applesauce: 

Ida Red
Jonathan
Macoun 
MacIntosh
Winesap
Arkansas Black
Melrose


If you have experience which could improve this list, please be sure to let me know.  I used apple growers and baking websites, but I'd rather have your opinions on what's best.

B

Post a Comment

0 Comments